The World of Freelancing
The odd thing about freelancing, in my experience, is that you do not necessarily have a target client. What you have is an ocean of potential clients looking for a range of services. While it is nice to be able to offer a number of services, I believe it would be of benefit to myself to work to narrow down my client base to a section of that vast ocean, and then capitalize on their needs.
Narrowing Down
I have been doing this for some time, but through guesswork. The questionnaire would allow for a crude narrowing of the needs of the visitors to my site. I've received a few emails from people interested in my services, and while they provide a bit of information about their needs, the questionnaire allows for a far more specific and targeted bid for data.
Using this data, I can discern the following:
- What the most sought after project is for visitors to my site (wedding, music video, etc.).
- What the price range is of my potential clients.
- Where potential clients are located.
There are a lot of other questions, but they are more for curiosity's sake. The goal is to identify the type of project, price range and location of people who are visiting my site.
Here’s what I thought during and after viewing your OLF:
ReplyDelete• A “you-centered” focus in your chatter would have been better.
• You should have used the checkbox option for item 1—as folks may be looking for multiple services
• Clients would be hard-pressed to know how long a shoot would last; they’d know better about how long an event would be.
• A number of the items require insider knowledge of photography/videography. Those needed explanatory chatter.